12.08.2012

Review: Lincoln


This week I took a well deserved study break to see Steven Spielberg's new film Lincoln.  I recommend going to see movies on Tuesdays because most theatres have a deep discount. My local theatre's Tuesday special is $5.50 general admission. I also recommend checking out student deals, again my theatre offers a $12.99 student deal which includes admission, and a medium popcorn and fountain drink. 

Admittedly, I do not know much about American history so I do not have a point of reference for the accuracy of the film. I found not having background knowledge of the American civil war and politics acceptable because it made the movie more exciting. After I left the theatre I did a quick wikipedia search and decided that the movie was fairly accurate.

I really enjoyed the Lincoln and I highly recommend going to see it. Daniel Day Lewis is a phenomenal actor and his portrayal of Abraham Lincoln was inspired. I also appreciated Sandy Fields as Mary Lincoln and she stole many of the scenes she was in.


As a law student, I appreciated the reasoned thinking, witty language and debate and discussion around civil rights. Seeing lawyers, and politicians stand up for civil rights and to declare slavery a human indignity was great. These scenes reminded me of how the law can be used to advance individual rights as well as societal values.

I have to say that this is one of my favourite movies of the year and I anticipate and Oscar for Daniel Day Lewis and Steven Spielberg. If you have time while Lincoln is in theatres, make an effort to go see it, you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment